Search

Cigarette cinders set derelict Manor House hotel ablaze

PUBLISHED: 10:41 26 October 2018 | UPDATED: 10:41 26 October 2018

A fire at a derelict hotel in Manor House

A fire at a derelict hotel in Manor House

Archant

Cinders from a discarded cigarette butt set fire to a derelict hotel in Manor House on Sunday night.

The London Fire Brigade [LFB] were called at about 1am and the flames was under control two hours later.

It took 40 firefighters to tackle the blaze, which raged on the upper floors of the empty building in Seven Sisters Road.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “The blaze damaged half of the second floor and the roof.

“A small part of the first floor was also damaged by fire.

“The [LFB’s] fire investigation team believe the fire was accidental and due to the unsafe disposal of smoking materials.

“Fire crews from Holloway, Stoke Newington, Tottenham, Kentish Town fire stations attended the scene.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette