Fire destroys shops and flats in Stoke Newington Road
Neighbours fled their homes as fire ripped through shops and flats in Stoke Newington Road in the early hours this morning (April 11).
The ground floor Garden Cafe and �igk�ftem restaurants were both badly damaged in the blaze, which broke out shortly before 3.55am.
About ten people escaped from flats on the second floor. One resident was led to safety by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.
Fire crews from Stoke Newington and Kingsland stations battled the blaze and got it under control by 5.35am.
Jamila Robertson, 24, who moved in just last week, said the fire had started in a rear garden.
You may also want to watch:
“My flatmate was asleep in her bedroom above the garden and she heard the fire because her window was open,” she said.
“We didn’t really know what the extent of the damage was until we went back inside. The flat is completely destroyed.”
- 1 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 2 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 3 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 4 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 5 Stats show rate of rise in Covid rates locally
- 6 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 9 What A Wonderful World: Hackney Choirs sing for climate action ahead of COP26
- 10 I’m terrible at golf. Can a Shoreditch centre help me improve?
The fire caused traffic delays and bus diversions in the early hours. Its cause it under investigation.