Fire destroys shops and flats in Stoke Newington Road
Neighbours fled their homes as fire ripped through shops and flats in Stoke Newington Road in the early hours this morning (April 11).
The ground floor Garden Cafe and �igk�ftem restaurants were both badly damaged in the blaze, which broke out shortly before 3.55am.
About ten people escaped from flats on the second floor. One resident was led to safety by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.
Fire crews from Stoke Newington and Kingsland stations battled the blaze and got it under control by 5.35am.
Jamila Robertson, 24, who moved in just last week, said the fire had started in a rear garden.
“My flatmate was asleep in her bedroom above the garden and she heard the fire because her window was open,” she said.
“We didn’t really know what the extent of the damage was until we went back inside. The flat is completely destroyed.”
- 1 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
- 2 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 3 Demolition begins to make way for Hoxton homes
- 4 Kids join police as 20 speed tickets given out
- 5 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 6 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 7 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 8 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 9 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 10 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
The fire caused traffic delays and bus diversions in the early hours. Its cause it under investigation.