Fire destroys shops and flats in Stoke Newington Road
Neighbours fled their homes as fire ripped through shops and flats in Stoke Newington Road in the early hours this morning (April 11).
The ground floor Garden Cafe and �igk�ftem restaurants were both badly damaged in the blaze, which broke out shortly before 3.55am.
About ten people escaped from flats on the second floor. One resident was led to safety by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.
Fire crews from Stoke Newington and Kingsland stations battled the blaze and got it under control by 5.35am.
Jamila Robertson, 24, who moved in just last week, said the fire had started in a rear garden.
You may also want to watch:
“My flatmate was asleep in her bedroom above the garden and she heard the fire because her window was open,” she said.
“We didn’t really know what the extent of the damage was until we went back inside. The flat is completely destroyed.”
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 8 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
The fire caused traffic delays and bus diversions in the early hours. Its cause it under investigation.