Fire destroys shops and flats in Stoke Newington Road
Neighbours fled their homes as fire ripped through shops and flats in Stoke Newington Road in the early hours this morning (April 11).
The ground floor Garden Cafe and �igk�ftem restaurants were both badly damaged in the blaze, which broke out shortly before 3.55am.
About ten people escaped from flats on the second floor. One resident was led to safety by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.
Fire crews from Stoke Newington and Kingsland stations battled the blaze and got it under control by 5.35am.
Jamila Robertson, 24, who moved in just last week, said the fire had started in a rear garden.
You may also want to watch:
“My flatmate was asleep in her bedroom above the garden and she heard the fire because her window was open,” she said.
“We didn’t really know what the extent of the damage was until we went back inside. The flat is completely destroyed.”
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 5 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 6 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 7 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
- 10 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
The fire caused traffic delays and bus diversions in the early hours. Its cause it under investigation.