Fire destroys shops and flats in Stoke Newington Road
Neighbours fled their homes as fire ripped through shops and flats in Stoke Newington Road in the early hours this morning (April 11).
The ground floor Garden Cafe and �igk�ftem restaurants were both badly damaged in the blaze, which broke out shortly before 3.55am.
About ten people escaped from flats on the second floor. One resident was led to safety by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.
Fire crews from Stoke Newington and Kingsland stations battled the blaze and got it under control by 5.35am.
Jamila Robertson, 24, who moved in just last week, said the fire had started in a rear garden.
You may also want to watch:
“My flatmate was asleep in her bedroom above the garden and she heard the fire because her window was open,” she said.
“We didn’t really know what the extent of the damage was until we went back inside. The flat is completely destroyed.”
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
The fire caused traffic delays and bus diversions in the early hours. Its cause it under investigation.