Search

Fire fighters warn of candle danger following Hoxton blaze

PUBLISHED: 14:16 17 November 2014 | UPDATED: 15:25 17 November 2014

Fire fighters have warned of the dangers of candles.

Fire fighters have warned of the dangers of candles.

Archant

Fire fighters have issued a warning about the dangers of candles after a woman had a lucky escape from her flat which was nearly totally destroyed in a blaze.

Crews suspect a candle left unattended in an upstairs bedroom in a maisonette in Pitfield Street set clothes alight and quickly spread.

The woman was only alerted to the blaze when neighbours spotted smoke, called the Brigade and told her to get out.

Station Manager Paul Hobbs who was at the scene said “This lady had a lucky escape, I can’t stress how important it is to never leave candles unattended as they are one of the most common causes of household fires.

“Crews couldn’t find any evidence of a smoke alarm either and so it was very lucky that neighbours spotted the smoke and called the Brigade.

If neighbours hadn’t raised the alarm when they did, this could have been a very different story.”

The woman was treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service.

Four fire engines and 21 fire fighters from as far afield as Islington, Soho, Paddington and Shadwell fire stations attended the incident on November 8.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hackney Gazette