Fire fighters warn of candle danger following Hoxton blaze
- Credit: Archant
Fire fighters have issued a warning about the dangers of candles after a woman had a lucky escape from her flat which was nearly totally destroyed in a blaze.
Crews suspect a candle left unattended in an upstairs bedroom in a maisonette in Pitfield Street set clothes alight and quickly spread.
The woman was only alerted to the blaze when neighbours spotted smoke, called the Brigade and told her to get out.
Station Manager Paul Hobbs who was at the scene said “This lady had a lucky escape, I can’t stress how important it is to never leave candles unattended as they are one of the most common causes of household fires.
“Crews couldn’t find any evidence of a smoke alarm either and so it was very lucky that neighbours spotted the smoke and called the Brigade.
You may also want to watch:
If neighbours hadn’t raised the alarm when they did, this could have been a very different story.”
The woman was treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service.
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 5 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 6 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 7 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 8 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 9 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
Four fire engines and 21 fire fighters from as far afield as Islington, Soho, Paddington and Shadwell fire stations attended the incident on November 8.