Fire guts flat next to Stoke Newington School
- Credit: Archant
More than 20 people called 999 to report a huge blaze which had broken out in a top floor flat next to Stoke Newington School yesterday.
Dozens of fire fighters were drafted in to tackle the fire in Church Walk, where flames and smoke could be seen billowing from the roof of the four-storey building.
The London Fire Brigade was called at 1.30pm and 35 fire fighters using six engines had the fire under control in just over two hours.
Part of the third floor flat and its roof were damaged.
Five people were evacuated from the block before the brigade arrived, and no one was injured.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- 1 Alleged organiser of illegal Hackney music event faces £10,000 fine
- 2 'Largest cannabis farm we've ever seen,' say Homerton police
- 3 Baby Edward: Police confirm biological mother was found
- 4 Hackney runner marking eight years since losing his dad to Prostate Cancer with charity run
- 5 24-hour DJ set raises thousands for mental health charity
- 6 'So many characters': Lockdown portraits on display
- 7 Architecture review: The 'competing hands' of building a city
- 8 Facebook bans breastfeeding campaign ads starring Hackney mum
- 9 Man's face lacerated in Lower Clapton stabbing
- 10 Hackney 'rising star' nominated for BAFTA