Fire guts flat next to Stoke Newington School
- Credit: Archant
More than 20 people called 999 to report a huge blaze which had broken out in a top floor flat next to Stoke Newington School yesterday.
Dozens of fire fighters were drafted in to tackle the fire in Church Walk, where flames and smoke could be seen billowing from the roof of the four-storey building.
The London Fire Brigade was called at 1.30pm and 35 fire fighters using six engines had the fire under control in just over two hours.
Part of the third floor flat and its roof were damaged.
Five people were evacuated from the block before the brigade arrived, and no one was injured.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- 1 Queens Birthday Honours List 2021: MP Meg Hillier and poet Lemn Sissay among those recognised
- 2 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 5 great places in north London to watch England's Euro 2020 campaign
- 4 Woman accused of murdering man in Hackney appears in court
- 5 Ridley Road market mask hero helps Hackney people through the pandemic
- 6 Diane Abbott to join 'Geffrye Must Fall' protest at museum reopening
- 7 The Museum of the Home 'welcomes peaceful protest' over Geffrye statue
- 8 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 9 Hackney could lose Dalston ward to Islington under proposed redrawing of electoral map
- 10 Woman charged with murder after Stamford Hill fatal stabbing