Fire guts flat next to Stoke Newington School
- Credit: Archant
More than 20 people called 999 to report a huge blaze which had broken out in a top floor flat next to Stoke Newington School yesterday.
Dozens of fire fighters were drafted in to tackle the fire in Church Walk, where flames and smoke could be seen billowing from the roof of the four-storey building.
The London Fire Brigade was called at 1.30pm and 35 fire fighters using six engines had the fire under control in just over two hours.
Part of the third floor flat and its roof were damaged.
Five people were evacuated from the block before the brigade arrived, and no one was injured.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- 1 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed