Firefighters battling Hackney fire which can be seen from miles around
- Credit: Archant
Road closures in Haggerston will last well into the evening commuters and residents have been warned, as fire fighters battle a massive blaze which can be seen from miles around.
Hackney Road is closed between Queensbridge Road and Pritchard’s Road while 72 fire fighters are working to contain the fire which is believed to have broken out in TSS Joinery joiners shop in Yorkton Street at around 1pm this afternoon, and quickly spread to nearby properties.
London Ambulance Service currently has three crews at the scene and a man in his 50s has been taken to the Royal London hospital suffering from burns to his forearm and smoke inhalation.
Thick clouds of black smoke can be seen rising above east London for miles around as the blaze rages at the row of shops.
London Fire Brigade has warned people living and working in the vicinity to keep their windows shut as 10 crews work to tackle the blaze, which they say they are “making good progress” in controlling.
You may also want to watch:
Eye-witnesses from the scene have described hearing a series of bangs as flames took hold at the scene.
The cause of the fire is not known at this stage.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs