Firefighters give a helmet to Kingsland station’s keenest admirer
- Credit: Archant
A man who has been visiting Kingsland fire station for more than 40 years was given a signed helmet by big-hearted crew members.
Danny Caine, 51, of Whiston Road, has been visiting the station in Kingsland Road since he was a child and has become good friends with many serving firefighters during that time.
He said: “I’ve been coming for 45 years. I’ve wanted to be a firefighter since I was young. It’s the only job I’ve ever wanted. When teachers asked, I said I wanted to be a fireman. I was 12 at the time. Instead they found me a job in the rag trade.
“When the weather’s nice, I go every day.
“I’m distressed. I don’t want it to close. What can you do? We can’t win. This government won’t give in to anybody. They don’t care about people’s rights.
“They talk about getting the debt down, but MPs are getting a pay rise even though they say they don’t want it.”
Former Kingsland firefighter Ken Kay, 67, who served at the station for 16 years, said: “I remember him from 35 years ago. He was a schoolchild when I first met him. Even as a child he would run outside the station.
- 1 Jailed: Man chased teenager and stabbed him in back in Lower Clapton
- 2 Hackney girls school gets 'good' Ofsted after 'inadequate' rating
- 3 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 4 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
- 5 Elizabeth Line opens: Londoners enjoy first day of service
- 6 'Time for change': Hackney Mayor on re-election plans
- 7 VOTE: Which north London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 8 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 9 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 10 Covid: Slight rise in admissions but fewer patients in hospital overall
“Everybody who has come to the station has taken to Danny. Every time we had a job, he would run after the engines. He would come and have supper with us and would stay till 10 or 11pm.”