First Hackney babies of 2012 arrive at Homerton Hospital
It was a ‘Nappy’ New Year for proud mums and dads at Homerton Hospital on Sunday (Jan 1) as the first Hackney babies of 2012 were born.
The new arrivals had a bawl as relatives and hospital staff made a fuss of them as they entered the world during the first dawn of the New Year.
Parents Nazish and Rahim Kaba celebrated when their baby daughter made a grand entrance at 1.17am.
But despite her early arrival, she wasn’t the first child born at the hospital’s maternity unit in Homerton Row - that honour fell to 8lb ‘Baby Freund’, who just pipped her to the post by arriving at 12.35am.
Thrilled mum Mishket Freund, of Manor Road, Stoke Newington, said: “She hasn’t got a name yet because we’re Jewish so we’re waiting until a special naming ceremony at the synagogue on Saturday to do that.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a very long labour - it took about a day and a half. But she’s my first child and I’m so happy to have her.”
Another new mum, Maebh Mac Giolla-Ri, welcomed her baby girl at 7.37am on New Year’s Day.
- 1 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 2 Hackney Wick floating restaurant wins Catey award
- 3 'It could be a grim Christmas': Brexit blamed for Hackney fuel shortages
- 4 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 No shortage of energy for runners in the Hackney Half and 5K
- 7 Meet the Insta-famous Hackney café taking over your feed
- 8 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 9 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku