Five hospitalised after carbon monoxide leak in Dalston
- Credit: Archant
Five people were taken to hospital last night after a carbon monoxide leak in Dalston.
A total of 21 residents were evacuated from a four-storey block in Kingsland Road, where firefighters were called shortly before 11pm.
Two pregnant women, two small children and man were hospitalised after they were found to have with elevated carbon monoxide readings.
The remainder were checked by crews from London Ambulance Service and did not require further treatment.
Crews from Islington, Shoreditch, Bethnal Green and Lewisham fire stations swept the building and declared it safe when they found no high readings of the lethal gas.
You may also want to watch:
Shoreditch Watch Manager Mark Lanaway, who was at the scene, said it was vital residents kept carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.
“Carbon monoxide is a silent killer, with least 50 deaths nationally recorded every year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning,” he said.
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 5 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 6 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
“Despite this, the majority of people still do not have a carbon monoxide detector in their home. It is vital that everyone has a carbon monoxide alarm in addition to smoke alarms.”