Five ways Mourinho can win over the Spurs supporters
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Five ways newly-appointed head coach Jose Mourinho can win over the Tottenham Hotspur fans as he takes over from much-loved Mauricio Pochettino.
The former Chelsea and Manchester United manager will have to of course turn their fortunes around in the Premier League but there are many other ways he could become popular among the Spurs faithful.
If the 56-year-old can sort out the current contract crisis at the club that would be a great start to his reign. There has been speculation all season and throughout the summer of the potential departures of key players including attacking midfielder Christian Eriksen and Belgian defensive duo Toby Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen.
Most Spurs fans will not want to lose such influential players so if Mourinho can tie them down or failing that ship them out in January - the squad morale could improve.
You may also want to watch:
A new right-back
Tottenham sold right-back Kieran Trippier to Spanish outfit Atletico Madrid in the summer and failed to fill that void. They now only have Serge Aurier and youngster Kyle Walker-Peters at their disposal with the latter being very inexperienced while the senior often makes plenty of costly mistakes.
- 1 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 8 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 9 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
Trust the youngsters
The former Real Madrid and Inter Milan boss could also win the hearts of the fans over by trusting the talented youngsters in and around the squad. Former boss Pochettino paved the way for the likes of Harry Winks and Walker-Peters to feature during his time. Oliver Skipp has also slowly featured and if Mourinho can continue to bring players through that will be a big boost considering the talent the club has produced in recent years.
Plenty of the squad seem to have gone a bit stale this season including the likes of Dele Alli and of course the stars that are coming to the end of their contracts.
If the Portuguese manager could bring the best out of Alli once again it could be like a new signing very similar to a number of players in the squad such as Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and even Erik Lamela. Spurs were successful in recent years for their hard working performances and that will be one thing Mourinho will definitely want to bring back as well as tightening up defensively.
Spurs have a bundle of great attacking players; Harry Kane, Heung-Min Son, Lucas Moura, Erik Lamela, Dele Alli and Christian Eriksen, but one thing they've lacked is a back-up striker to help carry the load with 26-year-old Kane. The club let Fernando Llorente go in the summer despite playing a vital part last season when the England International got injured as well as from the bench in the Champions League. If the new man could bring in reinforcements that would please the fans who want to see the club go to the next level.