Former De Beuvoir glamour model left paralysed after accident cycles for charity
- Credit: Archant
A former glamour model, who was left paralysed after a nightclub accident, is set to cycle 264 miles using an electrical stimulation bike.
Lolly Mack, 40, of De Beauvoir, is challenging herself to a virtual cycle from Los Angeles to Las Vegas to raise money for spinal cord injury charities.
Ms Mack started the 264-mile cycle last week using the special bike, which was supplied by mobility solutions specialist, Cyclone Technologies, shortly after her accident 10 years ago.
The LA to Las Vegas cycle is the second challenge for Lolly, following a skydive in March in aid of charity, Spinal Research, for which she raised more than £3,000.
Ms Mack said: “The skydive was an amazing experience and has turned me into a complete adrenaline junkie. I wanted to set myself another goal and the idea of doing a virtual cycle from LA to Las Vegas seemed like a good one to do, as I’m actually going on holiday to LA in February. I’m allowing myself four weeks to finish it, aiming to cover 15 miles each day.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m almost half-way there with the cycle. After the first few days, I was having sleepless nights as my muscles were aching, but it was a good feeling.
“One of the key aims of the cycle challenge is to raise awareness of spinal cord injury (SCI) and to raise funds for charities that will fund research for a cure for chronic SCI.”
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 10 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
Ms Mack became paralysed in 2004 after a drunk man landed on top of her in a nightclub after he jumped from a balcony.
At the time, she was working full-time as a make-up artist for Chanel and part-time as a model.
To donate, visit www.justgiving.com/Lolly-Mack2.