Former Hackney Gazette reporter Chloe Mayer publishes first novel, The Boy Made Of Snow
- Credit: Archant
A former Gazette reporter burst into tears when she saw her debut novel on sale in Waterstones.
It was a “dream come true” for Chloë Mayer, who worked at the paper from 2011 to 2013.
Her novel, The Boy Made of Snow, has been published in the UK, Australia, and Poland so far.
The 37-year-old said: “I was in Piccadilly Circus on Friday and popped into Waterstones. I couldn’t believe it when I saw my novel displayed on a table alongside books by ‘real’ authors. It was so overwhelming I welled up and was struggling not to cry in front of the other customers and staff!”
Chloe, of Wanstead, east London, was working on a first draft whilst at the Gazette.
You may also want to watch:
“But I’d often be knackered, so it was hard to write in the evenings or weekends,” she said.
“It took a few more years, but I finished it eventually.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
She added: “I absolutely loved working in Hackney and all the amazing locals I got to know.”