Free-bee fun turning grey Dalston into blooming oasis
- Credit: Archant
Nature lovers are invited to help create habitats for butterflies and make a giant bee hotel during a packed weekend of free activities to create a beautiful bee-friendly oasis in the heart of Dalston.
The Dalston Eastern Curve Garden in Dalston Lane has joined forces with Urban Bees, which encourages communities and businesses to plant bee-friendly flowers in towns and cities.
Visitors to Bees, Butterflies and Blooms will also be able to study flowers under a microscope and create a butterfly garden installation.
Alison Benjamin co-founder of Urban Bees said: “Bees are vital pollinators, helping to turn our grey cities into green places where nature and humans can thrive side by side.
“But wild bees need more food and habitat to flourish. Our work will create a beautiful bee-friendly oasis in the middle of Dalston and hopefully show others how easy it is to do the same where they live.”
You may also want to watch:
Activities take place on Saturday May 16 and Sunday May 17 from 1pm to 6pm.
This weekend marks the start of three weeks of ‘Dalston Flower Show’ activities at the Curve Garden for this year’s Chelsea Fringe – the London-wide festival of plants and gardening. Highlights include the launch of a pop up ‘herbal health bar’ and a week of cooking and art activities for children.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 5 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 6 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 7 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 8 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 9 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
- 10 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding