Get on your bike: Free cycle repair clinic opens at St Thomas’s church
- Credit: Derek Mullan
Get your bike fixed for free at the new Dr Bike clinic which has recently opened at St Thomas’s Church in Upper Clapton.
In order to keep running during lockdown, it has now moved location and cyclists must book a spot online.
Derek Mullan, who runs the clinic said he hoped that “the project will provide local residents with the confidence and knowledge to get cycling and keep cycling”.
The clinic has since helped 80 residents.
“A broken bike is an obvious barrier to cycling,” Mullan explained, and “there was a clear demand from the local community to keep cycling through lockdown”.
You may also want to watch:
The project was supported by investment from Cycling UK and the Big Bike Revival, allowing them to offer repairs to residents for free.
The clinic has opened as part of the Liberty Hall renovation project instigated by Clapton Commons, a community-led neighbourhood network.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 7 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 8 "Horrific" extent of River Lea plastic pollution at Hackney Marshes
- 9 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school