Get on your bike: Free cycle repair clinic opens at St Thomas’s church
- Credit: Derek Mullan
Get your bike fixed for free at the new Dr Bike clinic which has recently opened at St Thomas’s Church in Upper Clapton.
In order to keep running during lockdown, it has now moved location and cyclists must book a spot online.
Derek Mullan, who runs the clinic said he hoped that “the project will provide local residents with the confidence and knowledge to get cycling and keep cycling”.
The clinic has since helped 80 residents.
“A broken bike is an obvious barrier to cycling,” Mullan explained, and “there was a clear demand from the local community to keep cycling through lockdown”.
You may also want to watch:
The project was supported by investment from Cycling UK and the Big Bike Revival, allowing them to offer repairs to residents for free.
The clinic has opened as part of the Liberty Hall renovation project instigated by Clapton Commons, a community-led neighbourhood network.
- 1 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 2 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 3 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 4 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 5 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 6 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 7 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 8 Surgery blunder sees wrong side of 75-year-old patient's thyroid removed
- 9 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 10 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work