Free meals for families and kids in Hackney this summer
- Credit: Hackney Food Bank
The Florence Bennett Centre’s lunch club is giving families the chance to eat, play and relax for free every weekday this summer from 12 until 2pm.
Fresh, healthy meals are provided by Hackney Food Bank and something different is on the menu each day. The club offers vegetarian options and usually a meat or fish option too, sandwiches and dessert with seasonal fruits and ice cream.
Melanie Rochford from the Food Bank told the Gazette: "It's a real community feel and you can see that the parents that come here are relaxed, the kids are happily playing, it really does make a difference.
The lunch club runs until the 27th August.
"We'd love to do it in July as well but we need more funding to do that!" said Melanie.
Hackney Food Partnership has compiled a list of free food and fun activies showing where to go this summer for healthy free meals catered to kids.
You may also want to watch:
The lunch club is even busier this summer since it started last year and the centre is keen to take on volunteers to help with taking orders, serving food and clearing up after.
To find out more about volunteering at the lunch club email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 5 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London