Free meals for families and kids in Hackney this summer
- Credit: Hackney Food Bank
The Florence Bennett Centre’s lunch club is giving families the chance to eat, play and relax for free every weekday this summer from 12 until 2pm.
Fresh, healthy meals are provided by Hackney Food Bank and something different is on the menu each day. The club offers vegetarian options and usually a meat or fish option too, sandwiches and dessert with seasonal fruits and ice cream.
Melanie Rochford from the Food Bank told the Gazette: "It's a real community feel and you can see that the parents that come here are relaxed, the kids are happily playing, it really does make a difference.
The lunch club runs until the 27th August.
"We'd love to do it in July as well but we need more funding to do that!" said Melanie.
Hackney Food Partnership has compiled a list of free food and fun activies showing where to go this summer for healthy free meals catered to kids.
You may also want to watch:
The lunch club is even busier this summer since it started last year and the centre is keen to take on volunteers to help with taking orders, serving food and clearing up after.
To find out more about volunteering at the lunch club email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 3 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 4 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 5 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 6 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 7 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 8 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 9 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 10 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week