Free meals for families and kids in Hackney this summer
- Credit: Hackney Food Bank
The Florence Bennett Centre’s lunch club is giving families the chance to eat, play and relax for free every weekday this summer from 12 until 2pm.
Fresh, healthy meals are provided by Hackney Food Bank and something different is on the menu each day. The club offers vegetarian options and usually a meat or fish option too, sandwiches and dessert with seasonal fruits and ice cream.
Melanie Rochford from the Food Bank told the Gazette: "It's a real community feel and you can see that the parents that come here are relaxed, the kids are happily playing, it really does make a difference.
The lunch club runs until the 27th August.
"We'd love to do it in July as well but we need more funding to do that!" said Melanie.
Hackney Food Partnership has compiled a list of free food and fun activies showing where to go this summer for healthy free meals catered to kids.
You may also want to watch:
The lunch club is even busier this summer since it started last year and the centre is keen to take on volunteers to help with taking orders, serving food and clearing up after.
To find out more about volunteering at the lunch club email email@example.com
- 1 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 2 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 3 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 4 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 7 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 8 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 9 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 10 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'