Funding shortfall delays Sikh temple: planning permission granted three years ago
- Credit: Archant
The Sikh community is being urged to help raise £300,000 to transform a former pub into a temple for the community.
The Singh Sabha Gurdwara temple was granted planning permission three years ago, but has stalled because of a lack of funds.
Hackney Council granted change of use planning permission in 2012 to convert the Ship Aground pub in Lea Bridge Road, Lower Clapton - once notorious for drugs, noise and disorder.
The borough’s 2,000- strong Sikh community said it was needed after having to worship at temples outside the borough for the past 19 years, following the closure of a temple in Finsbury Park.
But the charity which owns the site needs £300,000 to finish off the work.
You may also want to watch:
General secretary, Sarjit Singh, said: “We are hoping to finish it off, we would like the Sikh community to make donations, so we can get this up and finished.
“Work is continuing but it’s a very slow process, the quicker the donations come in the quicker the building work can be completed.”
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
- 2 Your Paper, Your Voice: We want to hear from you
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Roads, Museum of the Home, Living Wage and child exploitation
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 10 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
“So far we have spent £300,000, we had the basement excavated to make a nice kitchen, and a main hall for ‘langar sewa’, which is food when it has been blessed and is a free meal for any person of any religion.”
Along with a prayer hall and library, the plan was to build a wedding hall, classrooms for teaching English and computer skills to immigrants. Residence for a priest or caretaker and a gym and a canteen are also part of proposals.