Fundraiser launched to save Hackney community choir
- Credit: Archant
A community choir needs funding if it is to carry on performing.
The group, which meets at St Joseph’s Hospice in Mare Street, is pleading for £2,000 in donations so it can hire transport to and from its concerts, purchase new instruments and pay choir director and founder Gina Fergione, who can no longer afford to keep giving up her time voluntarily.
Gina founded the choir seven years ago and commits her Thursday nights every week to run it and organise events as well.
The group said: “Many of us have been attending the choir for a number of years. The choir has provided a welcoming refuge after a busy or stressful week.
“We sing our hearts out with a variety of different styles of music to allow our burdens of health or emotional issues to lighten.”
You may also want to watch:
The choir, which meets every Thursday from 7.30pm to 9pm, is also on the lookout for new members to join.
Donate to the fundraiser at bit.ly/hospicechoir.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 6 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 7 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens