Fundraiser aims to turn Millfields Park paddling pool into ‘cine-theatre’
- Credit: Archant
A mobile drama group is fundraising to turn a disused paddling pool in Millfields Park into an open air popup “cine-theatre”.
Appropri8 needs £8,221 to host its event on June 10, intended to showcase local filmmakers and performers and tell the stories of Hackney lives.
The project is a one-off installation but if it goes well it could return both in Clapton and at other sites in London.
Visitors will also be invited to take part in building the theatre on the day with wood pallets and recycled materials.
A spokeswoman said: “The old paddling pool, which has been disused for several years, already has an amphitheatre like quality which lends itself to the creation of a stage.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope this will be an engaging, informative and fun day which engages large sections of a diverse community. We want not just to share the end result with the community but to work with the community.”
The group has already raised almost £4,000. To donate, click here.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 5 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 6 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 7 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Bedroom pop producer 'owes success to Hackney's creative community'
- 10 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding