Fundraiser aims to turn Millfields Park paddling pool into ‘cine-theatre’
- Credit: Archant
A mobile drama group is fundraising to turn a disused paddling pool in Millfields Park into an open air popup “cine-theatre”.
Appropri8 needs £8,221 to host its event on June 10, intended to showcase local filmmakers and performers and tell the stories of Hackney lives.
The project is a one-off installation but if it goes well it could return both in Clapton and at other sites in London.
Visitors will also be invited to take part in building the theatre on the day with wood pallets and recycled materials.
A spokeswoman said: “The old paddling pool, which has been disused for several years, already has an amphitheatre like quality which lends itself to the creation of a stage.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope this will be an engaging, informative and fun day which engages large sections of a diverse community. We want not just to share the end result with the community but to work with the community.”
The group has already raised almost £4,000. To donate, click here.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways