Garage and five cars destroyed in Hackney Central blaze
- Credit: Photo: @MrJonesTalks)
Huge plumes of black smoke could be seen billowing from a car workshop on Saturday afternoon, which was gutted in the blaze.
Five cars were also destroyed in the fire at the garage in Lamb Lane, off Mare Street in Hackney Central, which broke out just after 1pm.
Half of a three-floor converted office block next door was also damaged.
Over 72 fire fighters using 10 fire engines were drafted in to tackle the fire and to cool down a propane cylinder to prevent the fire spreading further.
They had the fire under control after two hours, but crews were at the scene damping down for hours afterwards.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 4 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 7 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 8 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse