Garage and five cars destroyed in Hackney Central blaze
- Credit: Photo: @MrJonesTalks)
Huge plumes of black smoke could be seen billowing from a car workshop on Saturday afternoon, which was gutted in the blaze.
Five cars were also destroyed in the fire at the garage in Lamb Lane, off Mare Street in Hackney Central, which broke out just after 1pm.
Half of a three-floor converted office block next door was also damaged.
Over 72 fire fighters using 10 fire engines were drafted in to tackle the fire and to cool down a propane cylinder to prevent the fire spreading further.
They had the fire under control after two hours, but crews were at the scene damping down for hours afterwards.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs