Garage and five cars destroyed in Hackney Central blaze
- Credit: Photo: @MrJonesTalks)
Huge plumes of black smoke could be seen billowing from a car workshop on Saturday afternoon, which was gutted in the blaze.
Five cars were also destroyed in the fire at the garage in Lamb Lane, off Mare Street in Hackney Central, which broke out just after 1pm.
Half of a three-floor converted office block next door was also damaged.
Over 72 fire fighters using 10 fire engines were drafted in to tackle the fire and to cool down a propane cylinder to prevent the fire spreading further.
They had the fire under control after two hours, but crews were at the scene damping down for hours afterwards.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- 1 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 2 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 3 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 4 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 5 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Hackney from climate emergency
- 6 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 7 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 8 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 9 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 10 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers