‘They’ve done Hackney proud’ – Youth club kids wins special national market traders award
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters from two youth clubs in south Hackney did the borough proud when they had an award created for them at a national market traders competition.
Children from Gascoyne and Morningside estate youth clubs headed up to Stratford-upon-Avon at the weekend after being nominated for the National Market Traders’ Federation (NMTF) Young Trader of the Year award.
Each week the group sell bath bombs, lip balms, soaps and T-shirts they have made at markets around Hackney.
And though they didn’t win the young trader award, judges were so impressed with their passion, enthusiasm and energy, they created a new “special commendation award” just for them.
Youth club manager Nicolette Nixon said she was so emotional when the announcement was made she didn’t even know what they had won.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m so unbeleivably proud of them,” she said. “They really are very professional. But whereas adults stand behind their stall waiting for people to come the kids will stand outside and speak to people and tell them what they do. They gave a really positive view of Hackney to everyone.”
Kevin Jones who hosted the Barrow Boys and Girls Academy training at his Well Street cafe NuDawn said: “They are a credit to Hackney.
- 1 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 2 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 3 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack
- 4 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 7 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
“The skills being learnt are not and cannot be taught in schools, this is a taste of the real world, where our children are learning about business and all that it incorporates.”