General Election 2017: Diane Abbott says Theresa May’s ‘lacklustre’ Brexit strategy is ‘collapsing’
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Diane Abbott has said Theresa May’s “lacklustre” Brexit strategy will help Labour oust the Tories in next month’s General Election.
The Hackney North and Stoke Newington MP said she was ready to defend her 24,000 majority seat, which she has held since 1987.
Speaking to the Gazette, she said: “This is a massive U-turn by Theresa May. It’s not just that she has only a 12 member majority, but her lacklustre strategy for Brexit is collapsing, this is why she has called this cut and run election.
“The British public understand this and they will not appreciate it.
“Labour are ready for this general election and we are fighting to win. When faced with a choice between Theresa May’s Britain and our positive offer of a more equal Britain, a fairer Britain that protects jobs and living standards, I believe the public will come behind us.”
You may also want to watch:
The Gazette will be speaking to Diane Abbott next week for a more in depth look at the election.
- 1 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 2 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 6 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 9 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 10 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space