General Election 2017: Diane Abbott says Theresa May’s ‘lacklustre’ Brexit strategy is ‘collapsing’
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Diane Abbott has said Theresa May’s “lacklustre” Brexit strategy will help Labour oust the Tories in next month’s General Election.
The Hackney North and Stoke Newington MP said she was ready to defend her 24,000 majority seat, which she has held since 1987.
Speaking to the Gazette, she said: “This is a massive U-turn by Theresa May. It’s not just that she has only a 12 member majority, but her lacklustre strategy for Brexit is collapsing, this is why she has called this cut and run election.
“The British public understand this and they will not appreciate it.
“Labour are ready for this general election and we are fighting to win. When faced with a choice between Theresa May’s Britain and our positive offer of a more equal Britain, a fairer Britain that protects jobs and living standards, I believe the public will come behind us.”
You may also want to watch:
The Gazette will be speaking to Diane Abbott next week for a more in depth look at the election.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 4 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 5 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 6 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 7 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 8 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 9 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 10 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan