General Election 2017: Diane Abbott says Theresa May’s ‘lacklustre’ Brexit strategy is ‘collapsing’
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Diane Abbott has said Theresa May’s “lacklustre” Brexit strategy will help Labour oust the Tories in next month’s General Election.
The Hackney North and Stoke Newington MP said she was ready to defend her 24,000 majority seat, which she has held since 1987.
Speaking to the Gazette, she said: “This is a massive U-turn by Theresa May. It’s not just that she has only a 12 member majority, but her lacklustre strategy for Brexit is collapsing, this is why she has called this cut and run election.
“The British public understand this and they will not appreciate it.
“Labour are ready for this general election and we are fighting to win. When faced with a choice between Theresa May’s Britain and our positive offer of a more equal Britain, a fairer Britain that protects jobs and living standards, I believe the public will come behind us.”
You may also want to watch:
The Gazette will be speaking to Diane Abbott next week for a more in depth look at the election.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 3 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 6 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 7 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 8 Thunder and lightning could return to London on Monday
- 9 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 10 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors