George Downing Estate stabbing: Victim Yaya Mbye named, as murder squad cops hunt three men in silver estate car
- Credit: police
The 26-year-old stabbed to death on the George Downing Estate on Sunday night has been named as Yaya Mbye by murder squad detectives, who believe the attack may have been planned by three men dressed in dark clothing.
Yaya, from Hackney, collapsed in the children’s playground in the estate off Cazenove Road at 11.30pm. He died in hospital an hour later.
Det Ch Insp Gary Holmes, from the Met’s murder squad who is leading the investigation, now wants to trace three men dressed in dark clothing who he believes are responsible for the attack.
He said: “I believe they arrived and left the scene of the murder in a silver car believed to possibly be a Mercedes estate and I would like to hear from anybody who may have seen anything or may have any information about the murder of this young man.”
He added: “I believe there was a level of planning into this murder and I am interested in hearing from anybody who may have seen or heard anything in the area of the housing estate in the late part of Sunday evening.”
You may also want to watch:
Det Ch Insp Holmes is also appealing to anyone who can help piece together the final days and hours of Yaya’s life.
“Did you see him in the area that night or had you seen or spoke to him in the days leading up to his death?” he asked.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 9 Charity puts on community feasts to tackle food waste
- 10 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes
A post-mortem gave the cause of Yaya’s death as a stab wound.
Anyone with information should call 020 8345 1570 or 101 or alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at crimestoppers-uk.org.