Ghanaian cocoa farmers visit Dalston to celebrate fair trade fortnight
- Credit: Archant
Two Ghanaian farmers will get a chance to sample fair trade chocolate that they help produce, at a charity event in Dalston.
Mavis Adu Gyamfi and Mercy Zaah, members of the Kuapa Kokoo co-operative in the African country of Ghana which own 45 per cent of Divine chocolate, will be visiting Oxfam in Kingsland Road on March 1,
It is just one stop on a tour of UK to celebrate Fairtrade fortnight, which runs from February 24 to March 9, and International Women’s Day on March 8.
Ms Adu Gyamfi, 26, joined Kuapa Kokoo as a recorder - the position responsible for weighing cocoa and paying farmers - in 2009. She has a six acre farm, and has studied accounting and holds a diploma in business studies.
Ms Zaah, 51, has five children and has a farm of 12 acres producing about 90 cocoa sacks per a season. She joined the co-op in 1999.
You may also want to watch:
Fair trade is part of Oxfam’s trading strategy to offer a fair alternative to consumers. They also lobby and campaign in order to change unfair trade policies and to improve production and supply chains, so that all other companies adopt fair trade values too.
The event will take place at Oxfam on 514-518 Kingsland Road from 2.30pm to 5.30pm.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 8 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 9 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
For more information visit www.divinechocolate.com/uk/good-stuff/events.