Tottenham land massive Lo Celso coup, initially on loan
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Chairman Daniel Levy has managed to bring Giovani Lo Celso to Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur have pulled off a huge signing, securing the services of Argentina international Giovani Lo Celso on an initial loan deal from Real Betis.
It's a deal the Premier League club have been working on all summer and at one point seemed to be off.
However, chairman Daniel Levy has been able to secure the services of the playmaker and it represents a huge coup for Spurs.
Lo Celso, an Argentina international, started out at Rosario Central before he sealed a big switch to Paris Saint-Germain in July 2016.
You may also want to watch:
Chances were hard to come by during his first two seasons at the club and so he left on loan to sign for Betis last season.
The 23-year-old shone in La Liga and established himself as one of the best attackers in Europe while playing in a variety of different positions.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 7 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 8 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
Generally a central midfielder, Lo Celso turned out for Betis further forward to and up front on occasions.
It didn't take the Spanish outfit long to secure his services on a permanent transfer, triggering the option in his loan contract.
Yet it was always only to allow them to secure a fee for the Argentina international, who helped his country reach the semi-finals of the Copa America last month.
After seemingly struggling to finalise a deal a couple of weeks ago, Tottenham were able to pick up negotiations recently and completed the transfer today and announced the news not long after the 5pm transfer deadline.
Lo Celso will wear the number 18 shirt and Ryan Sessegnon is expected to complete a move to Spurs too.