Graphic novel launches with Hackney literacy charity
- Credit: Archant
A graphic novel anthology sets sail this month in partnership with a pioneering Hackney charity.
Tales from the Deep, the first anthology from illustration group, Drawn Chorus Collective will be launched at Hackney Pirates in Kingsland High Street on November 20.
The story collection features papercuts and watercolour illustrations from an award-winning team, creating a stunning world of mermaids, monsters and strangers from the sea.
Hackney Pirates will host the event aboard the Ship of Adventures, its weird and wonderful out-of-school learning environment.
The charity aims to develop literacy, confidence and perseverance in young people through real-world learning projects.
You may also want to watch:
Laura Marney, Head of trading at Hackney Pirates, said: “We believe that providing support outside of school can really help young people to do better in the classroom, while also developing their broader skills. We also believe that learning should be a great adventure.
“We’re really excited to host the Drawn Chorus Collective’s book launch. We think all different types of books are great for promoting literacy – we have even written our own collection of graphic stories called “The Good Ship Rooftop”, with stories and illustrations created by our Young Pirates.”
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 8 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 9 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack
People are invited to the launch from 7:30-10pm at Hackney Pirates, 138 Kingsland High St E8 2JP. Tales from the Deep will be on sale at a special launch-night price alongside an original artwork exhibition and pop-up shop.
To find out more: hackneypirates.org