Graphic novel launches with Hackney literacy charity
- Credit: Archant
A graphic novel anthology sets sail this month in partnership with a pioneering Hackney charity.
Tales from the Deep, the first anthology from illustration group, Drawn Chorus Collective will be launched at Hackney Pirates in Kingsland High Street on November 20.
The story collection features papercuts and watercolour illustrations from an award-winning team, creating a stunning world of mermaids, monsters and strangers from the sea.
Hackney Pirates will host the event aboard the Ship of Adventures, its weird and wonderful out-of-school learning environment.
The charity aims to develop literacy, confidence and perseverance in young people through real-world learning projects.
You may also want to watch:
Laura Marney, Head of trading at Hackney Pirates, said: “We believe that providing support outside of school can really help young people to do better in the classroom, while also developing their broader skills. We also believe that learning should be a great adventure.
“We’re really excited to host the Drawn Chorus Collective’s book launch. We think all different types of books are great for promoting literacy – we have even written our own collection of graphic stories called “The Good Ship Rooftop”, with stories and illustrations created by our Young Pirates.”
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 8 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
People are invited to the launch from 7:30-10pm at Hackney Pirates, 138 Kingsland High St E8 2JP. Tales from the Deep will be on sale at a special launch-night price alongside an original artwork exhibition and pop-up shop.
To find out more: hackneypirates.org