Green Lanes takeaway damaged in fire
- Credit: Archant
A takeaway in Green Lanes was damaged in a blaze on Thursday night.
Four engines and 20 firefighters were called to Ustun at 10.30pm, after reports of smoke coming from the back of the restaurant.
Part of the takeaway’s extraction system was damaged but two members of staff and seven tenants of the above flats managed to evacuate the building before crews got there.
Watch manager Chloe Van Dop was at the scene, she said: “There was limited access to the ducting where the fire started and crews worked really hard to prevent it spreading further into the rest of the building.
“Restaurant owners should be reminded to maintain good housekeeping. They should ensure the flue of a pizza oven is kept clean and well maintained so there’s no build up of debris to prevent fires.”
You may also want to watch:
The fire, which was accidental, was brought under control in 45 minutes.
- 1 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 2 Stats show rate of rise in Covid rates locally
- 3 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 4 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 5 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 6 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 7 De Beauvoir residents to vote on estate regeneration in planning policy dry run
- 8 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 9 I’m terrible at golf. Can a Shoreditch centre help me improve?
- 10 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack