Green Lanes takeaway damaged in fire
- Credit: Archant
A takeaway in Green Lanes was damaged in a blaze on Thursday night.
Four engines and 20 firefighters were called to Ustun at 10.30pm, after reports of smoke coming from the back of the restaurant.
Part of the takeaway’s extraction system was damaged but two members of staff and seven tenants of the above flats managed to evacuate the building before crews got there.
Watch manager Chloe Van Dop was at the scene, she said: “There was limited access to the ducting where the fire started and crews worked really hard to prevent it spreading further into the rest of the building.
“Restaurant owners should be reminded to maintain good housekeeping. They should ensure the flue of a pizza oven is kept clean and well maintained so there’s no build up of debris to prevent fires.”
You may also want to watch:
The fire, which was accidental, was brought under control in 45 minutes.
- 1 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 2 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 5 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 6 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 9 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 10 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate