Green Lanes takeaway damaged in fire
- Credit: Archant
A takeaway in Green Lanes was damaged in a blaze on Thursday night.
Four engines and 20 firefighters were called to Ustun at 10.30pm, after reports of smoke coming from the back of the restaurant.
Part of the takeaway’s extraction system was damaged but two members of staff and seven tenants of the above flats managed to evacuate the building before crews got there.
Watch manager Chloe Van Dop was at the scene, she said: “There was limited access to the ducting where the fire started and crews worked really hard to prevent it spreading further into the rest of the building.
“Restaurant owners should be reminded to maintain good housekeeping. They should ensure the flue of a pizza oven is kept clean and well maintained so there’s no build up of debris to prevent fires.”
You may also want to watch:
The fire, which was accidental, was brought under control in 45 minutes.
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 8 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school