Grieving son may lose home in Haggerston
PUBLISHED: 12:47 19 April 2013 | UPDATED: 12:47 19 April 2013
A bricklayer is distraught after he was served with an eviction notice from the home his parents lived in for 52 years - a week after he buried his mother.
Barry Castleman, 46, of Scriven Court, Haggerston, now faces losing his home on top of coming to terms with the death of his 84-year-old mother from lung disease.
Last Thursday – just a week after her funeral – he received a letter from Hackney Homes telling him it was going to evict him from the house, which he moved into in 2009 following the death of his father.
He had applied for joint tenancy on the property but this was refused by Hackney Council.
Mr Castleman said: “I think it’s unfair of Hackney Council to have sent this letter straight away. I’ve just buried my mum and now this. It’s a real shock and I don’t know which way to turn.
“I’ve been trying to do the right thing. I’ve written to the council many times to get a joint tenancy.
“My parents have been in this property for 52 years. They were the first ones here and I was born here.
“My dad was a scrap metal dealer and my mum was a dinner lady at Edith Cavell School and worked as a cleaner at the London Stock Exchange. They have always paid their way.”
Prior to moving back home, Mr Castleman was living with friends.
He said: “My mum could not cope when my dad died and her condition worsened.”
The letter that was sent to Mr Castleman told him that his application for joint tenancy had been refused and offered to reimburse him for rent and council tax he had paid.
A Hackney Council spokesperson said: “While we fully appreciate this is a sad time for Mr Castleman, he was not eligible for a joint tenancy with his mother.
‘‘Before we can decide if he is eligible for a tenancy of his own, we need to know more about his circumstances, to better understand his housing needs.”