Hackney artist’s ‘Dismaland’ estate agent signs on show at The Art Conference
- Credit: Archant
An artist’s subverted estate agent signs highlighting spiralling house prices in London - which were on show at street artist Banksy’s ‘bemusement park’ Dismaland in Weston-Super-Mare – are on show in an international art conference.
Tinsel Edwards redesigns discarded signs she has found in the street, replacing advertising blurb with slogans based on real-life stories about her friends who have been priced out of the capital.
The 37-year-old whose studio is in Matchmaker’s Wharf, Homerton, is one of 15 speakers at The Art Conference (TAC) in Bermondsey in July.
She said: “It started when I was trying to find a two bedroom flat with my son and found out the rent was more than my salary.
“My friends have had to leave London and take their kids out of schools.
You may also want to watch:
“Estate agent signs are everywhere, they are like weeds. I subverted their signs and changed the words, to tell the real story.
“It’s not a dig about estate agents, it more a comment of what’s happening generally, estate agents are just one symptom of it.”
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 3 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 4 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 5 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 6 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 7 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 8 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 9 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney