Hackney artist wins make-up Oscar for The Wolfman
A Hackney-born special effects artist has won the film industry’s ‘big one’ for his work in Hollywood.
Dave Elsey, originally of Priory Court, Homerton, has was awarded an Oscar for the prosthetic make-up in The Wolfman.
The 43-year-old, who now lives in Los Angeles, transformed Puerto Rican actor Benicio del Toro into a terrifyingly realistic werewolf with the help of best friend Rick Baker.
His mother Marie, 77, who still lives in Homerton, said: “I’m over the moon.
“He has been working really hard and it hasn’t come easy but he did it in the end.”
You may also want to watch:
Dave went to Kingsmead Primary School in Kings Mead Way then the former Mehetabel Road School and Upton House Secondary School.
He told the Gazette ahead of the Academy Awards ceremony last night (February 27): “Doing The Wolfman was a dream job for me, as I remember growing up in Hackney in the 70s watching the old classic Universal horror movies on a Saturday night as a kid. I used to beg my mum and dad to let me watch them, and wonder how the monsters were made. Thank goodness I had great parents who encouraged my imagination because now I’m lucky enough to do this as a job.”
- 1 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 2 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 3 Stats show rate of rise in Covid rates locally
- 4 De Beauvoir residents to vote on estate regeneration in planning policy dry run
- 5 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 6 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 7 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 8 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 9 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 10 Hackney lawyer's death inspires fundraising blitz for domestic abuse victims