Hoxton arts venue receives coronavirus recovery grant
- Credit: Hoxton Hall
A Hoxton performance arts theatre and community centre has been awarded £120k to help it survive the ongoing coronavirus crisis
Hoxton Hall received the grant as part of the government’s £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund (CRF).
Karena Johnson, artistic director and CEO of Hoxton Hall, said the grant will secure the Victorian music hall’s survival until the coming spring: “We are not out of the woods but it will enable us to stage some test events next year, welcoming audiences back for the first time since March.
READ MORE: Arts venue wants help from community in creating new soap opera named Hoxton Street“This funding is a great vote of confidence for this small but culturally significant organisation. A hidden gem which is an important part of all our cultural heritage and future.”
The theatre is one of 1,385 cultural and creative organisations in the country which has received urgently needed support.
£257 million of investment was announced by culture secretary Oliver Dowden as part of the very first round of the Culture Recovery Fund grants programme being administered by Arts Council England.
You may also want to watch:
However, distribution of the first round of CRF grants under £1 million was delayed from October 5 to October 12.
Further rounds of funding in the cultural and heritage sector are due to be announced over the coming weeks.
READ MORE: Hoxton Hall musical shines spotlight on Victorian girl gang Forty Elephants that lasted 200 yearsThe culture secretary said: “This funding is a vital boost for the theatres, music venues, museums and cultural organisations that form the soul of our nation. It will protect these special places, save jobs and help the culture sector’s recovery.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 3 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 4 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images