Hackney baby first to be born in shopping centre
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney mother became the first woman to give birth at an Essex shopping centre in its 23-year history.
Justina Williams went into labour while out shopping at intu Lakeside in Thurrock on January 22.
Security staff cordoned off an area of the centre while waiting for an ambulance to arrive.
However, they ended up helping deliver her daughter Deborah while waiting for medical help to arrive.
Izzie Peskett, marketing manager for intu Lakeside, said: “We would like to congratulate the Williams family on the arrival of baby Deborah.
You may also want to watch:
“While a few women have gone into labour here, this is the very first baby that has actually been born in the centre in the 23 years that we have been open. It was an exciting evening for everyone.”
Last Thursday, Ms Williams was given gifts by the team who helped her deliver the baby from stores at the shopping centre.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 8 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 9 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 10 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space