Hackney baby first to be born in shopping centre
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney mother became the first woman to give birth at an Essex shopping centre in its 23-year history.
Justina Williams went into labour while out shopping at intu Lakeside in Thurrock on January 22.
Security staff cordoned off an area of the centre while waiting for an ambulance to arrive.
However, they ended up helping deliver her daughter Deborah while waiting for medical help to arrive.
Izzie Peskett, marketing manager for intu Lakeside, said: “We would like to congratulate the Williams family on the arrival of baby Deborah.
You may also want to watch:
“While a few women have gone into labour here, this is the very first baby that has actually been born in the centre in the 23 years that we have been open. It was an exciting evening for everyone.”
Last Thursday, Ms Williams was given gifts by the team who helped her deliver the baby from stores at the shopping centre.
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 4 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 5 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 6 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 7 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 8 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 9 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 10 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains