Hackney baby first to be born in shopping centre
- Credit: Archant
A Hackney mother became the first woman to give birth at an Essex shopping centre in its 23-year history.
Justina Williams went into labour while out shopping at intu Lakeside in Thurrock on January 22.
Security staff cordoned off an area of the centre while waiting for an ambulance to arrive.
However, they ended up helping deliver her daughter Deborah while waiting for medical help to arrive.
Izzie Peskett, marketing manager for intu Lakeside, said: “We would like to congratulate the Williams family on the arrival of baby Deborah.
You may also want to watch:
“While a few women have gone into labour here, this is the very first baby that has actually been born in the centre in the 23 years that we have been open. It was an exciting evening for everyone.”
Last Thursday, Ms Williams was given gifts by the team who helped her deliver the baby from stores at the shopping centre.
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 4 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 5 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 6 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 7 'I think religion is a way for people to live meaningfully together': New Rabbi embraces Stoke Newington
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 What A Wonderful World: Hackney Choirs sing for climate action ahead of COP26
- 10 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney