Hackney boy Lord Sugar enters Andy Gray/Richard Keys Sky sexism row
Apprentice star says Jamie Redknapp right to take lead role.
FORMER Hackney boy Lord Sugar has waded into the Sky Sports sexism row saying the company was right to boot out football commentator Andy Gray but that it needed to get rid of his co-worker Richard Keys.
Lord Sugar, who grew up on the Northwold Estate, Upper Clapton, said on his twitter page that he tipped his hat to the company for standing by its principles.
Lord_Sugar wrote on his Twitter page: “Andy Gray: Hats off to SKY by standing by their principles.”
Mr Gray, a former Everton striker and the face of Sky’s football coverage for almost 20 years, was given the boot by the company yesterday (Tuesday) after footage emerged of him asking a female colleague to tuck him and gesturing to the front of his trousers.
You may also want to watch:
The new footage, leaked to the internet, came after Mr Gray and Mr Keys were caught deriding a feamle linesman and saying women did not understand the off-side rule.
Mr Keys was also heard tearing into Karren Brady, Lord Sugar’s assitant on the hit TV show The Apprentice, who had complained about sexism in the sport.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
Lord Sugar later added: “Sky have shut the door to sexism shame they didn’t throw away the Keys.”
He then made a suggestion for a replacement: “How about young Jamie Rednapp to take Gray’s place.”