Hackney boy Phillips Idowu gets MBE in Queen’s birthday honours list
Hackney-born athlete Phillips Idowu is used to taking enormous leaps as he competes on the world stage.
But he jumped for joy instead this weekend when was recognised in the Queen’s birthday honours list.
The 32-year-old, who grew up on an estate in the borough and went to Raine’s Foundation School in Bethnal Green, was awarded an MBE as part of the celebrations on Saturday (June 11).
The Olympic triple jumper, who dreams of winning the gold at London 2012, was praised for his services to athletics.
Phillips has won every major triple jump title except the Olympic gold - and he missed that by only five centimetres in 2008.
You may also want to watch:
He told the Gazette: “I am absolutely delighted to have been awarded an MBE in the Queens birthday honours this year.
“It means a lot to get this extra boost ahead of the Olympics in 2012. I look forward to putting on my finest for a day at the palace.”
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 4 Mick Gosling tribute: 'Political vision and flair'
- 5 Hackney 'unsung heroes' honoured in Mayor's civic awards
- 6 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 7 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 8 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 9 Free boat parties, stone-fired pizza and more this weekend in Hackney
- 10 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
Phillips now lives in Birmingham as he trains for the world event next year, but his family still live in Homerton and Dalston.
Other figures honoured in this year’s list included Bruce Forsyth, who finally received a knighthood after years of media speculation, and Colin Firth, who was made a CBE alongside singer Bryan Ferry.
Phillips will now join the rest of the gong gang at Buckingham Palace for a posh presentation ceremony.