Hackney children join Lord Mayor’s party
Children from Hackney enjoyed a spectacular fancy dress party in the splendid ballroom of the Lord Mayor of London’s official residence at the Mansion House.
Lord Mayor Michael Bear threw the doors open to 500 young guests on Saturday (Jan 10) to celebrate the start of the New Year in style.
The usual formality of the Mansion House was replaced with the excited noises of children, clowns, party games and a live band in the splendid surroundings of the 18th-century State Rooms and palatial Egyptian Hall, which is usually peopled by politicians, statesmen and financiers.
Children danced to songs and = enjoyed afternoon tea at the Old Ballroom.
They could also meet expert animal handlers who introduced them to a harriers, owls, reptiles and spiders.
You may also want to watch:
Amongst the guests from Hackney were 11-year-olds Benjy Mulready-Carol and Jacob Warr who were joined by Hackney’s Speaker Sally Mulready.
Lord Mayor and father-of-two Michael Bear, said: “It’s good to have fun with future potential City workers. My year as Lord Mayor is full of serious business promoting London’s key financial services industry so a party with children makes a really welcome change.’’
- 1 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 4 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Former East Enders actor takes next career step as a film director
- 9 Hackney remembers Prince Philip after his passing at age 99
- 10 Arsenal legend Kelly Smith says Williamson and Wubben-Moy have the chance to impress for Lionesses