Hackney children join Lord Mayor’s party
Children from Hackney enjoyed a spectacular fancy dress party in the splendid ballroom of the Lord Mayor of London’s official residence at the Mansion House.
Lord Mayor Michael Bear threw the doors open to 500 young guests on Saturday (Jan 10) to celebrate the start of the New Year in style.
The usual formality of the Mansion House was replaced with the excited noises of children, clowns, party games and a live band in the splendid surroundings of the 18th-century State Rooms and palatial Egyptian Hall, which is usually peopled by politicians, statesmen and financiers.
Children danced to songs and = enjoyed afternoon tea at the Old Ballroom.
They could also meet expert animal handlers who introduced them to a harriers, owls, reptiles and spiders.
You may also want to watch:
Amongst the guests from Hackney were 11-year-olds Benjy Mulready-Carol and Jacob Warr who were joined by Hackney’s Speaker Sally Mulready.
Lord Mayor and father-of-two Michael Bear, said: “It’s good to have fun with future potential City workers. My year as Lord Mayor is full of serious business promoting London’s key financial services industry so a party with children makes a really welcome change.’’
- 1 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 9 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 10 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back