Hackney children join Lord Mayor’s party
Children from Hackney enjoyed a spectacular fancy dress party in the splendid ballroom of the Lord Mayor of London’s official residence at the Mansion House.
Lord Mayor Michael Bear threw the doors open to 500 young guests on Saturday (Jan 10) to celebrate the start of the New Year in style.
The usual formality of the Mansion House was replaced with the excited noises of children, clowns, party games and a live band in the splendid surroundings of the 18th-century State Rooms and palatial Egyptian Hall, which is usually peopled by politicians, statesmen and financiers.
Children danced to songs and = enjoyed afternoon tea at the Old Ballroom.
They could also meet expert animal handlers who introduced them to a harriers, owls, reptiles and spiders.
You may also want to watch:
Amongst the guests from Hackney were 11-year-olds Benjy Mulready-Carol and Jacob Warr who were joined by Hackney’s Speaker Sally Mulready.
Lord Mayor and father-of-two Michael Bear, said: “It’s good to have fun with future potential City workers. My year as Lord Mayor is full of serious business promoting London’s key financial services industry so a party with children makes a really welcome change.’’
- 1 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 2 Stats show rate of rise in Covid rates locally
- 3 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 4 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 5 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 6 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 7 De Beauvoir residents to vote on estate regeneration in planning policy dry run
- 8 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 9 I’m terrible at golf. Can a Shoreditch centre help me improve?
- 10 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack