Hackney Children’s Choir call out for new members after summer success
- Credit: Archant
The new Hackney Children’s Choir, after a show-stopping summer of success, is now on the lookout for more members for their autumn programme.
Children in school years four to six can drop in to St Paul’s Church in Stoke Newington Road, on September 16 for a taster session and vocal trial.
Choir director Tom Dagget said: “Don’t worry if they’ve never sung a note before. If they’ve got the talent, we’ll spot it and we’ll really help their talent to shine as it should.”
The recently formed choir has enjoyed a string of achievements this summer including a stunning performance with the Choristers of St Paul’s Cathedral in July.
Four members were also amongst 30 young singers in the country selected to spend a week at Wellington College, in Berkshire, learning some of the most challenging choral music ever written.
You may also want to watch:
Gary Clarke, Jacob Farley, Noella Kukemba and Shauvaunte Mullings-Hinds all took the trip to learn under prestigious choral trainer, Ralph Allwood, former Director of Music at Eton College.
The course culminated in a concert at Wellington College Chapel which was so popular that it was issued as a CD.
- 1 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 2 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 3 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 4 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 5 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 6 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 7 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 8 Gone in 60 seconds: Watch as 'keyless' thief steals Hackney car
- 9 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 10 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
Hackney Children’s Choir was founded by Mr Dagget and Father Niall Weir, Rector of St Paul’s Church, where the choir rehearses, to offer children with an often unnoticed musical talent to hone their skill through choral singing.
Tom Daggett said: “Opportunities for young people develop their musical talent through the discipline of choral singing are, sadly, few and far between. There are so many musically gifted children out there, but all too often, their talent never sees the light of day .
“We formed the Hackney Children’s Choir to fill this gap and to have a lot of fun in the process.”
The try out session will take place on September 16 in St Paul’s Church Hall from 3:30pm. Drinks and refreshments will be provided.