Hackney Children’s Choir call out for new members after summer success
- Credit: Archant
The new Hackney Children’s Choir, after a show-stopping summer of success, is now on the lookout for more members for their autumn programme.
Children in school years four to six can drop in to St Paul’s Church in Stoke Newington Road, on September 16 for a taster session and vocal trial.
Choir director Tom Dagget said: “Don’t worry if they’ve never sung a note before. If they’ve got the talent, we’ll spot it and we’ll really help their talent to shine as it should.”
The recently formed choir has enjoyed a string of achievements this summer including a stunning performance with the Choristers of St Paul’s Cathedral in July.
Four members were also amongst 30 young singers in the country selected to spend a week at Wellington College, in Berkshire, learning some of the most challenging choral music ever written.
You may also want to watch:
Gary Clarke, Jacob Farley, Noella Kukemba and Shauvaunte Mullings-Hinds all took the trip to learn under prestigious choral trainer, Ralph Allwood, former Director of Music at Eton College.
The course culminated in a concert at Wellington College Chapel which was so popular that it was issued as a CD.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 4 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
Hackney Children’s Choir was founded by Mr Dagget and Father Niall Weir, Rector of St Paul’s Church, where the choir rehearses, to offer children with an often unnoticed musical talent to hone their skill through choral singing.
Tom Daggett said: “Opportunities for young people develop their musical talent through the discipline of choral singing are, sadly, few and far between. There are so many musically gifted children out there, but all too often, their talent never sees the light of day .
“We formed the Hackney Children’s Choir to fill this gap and to have a lot of fun in the process.”
The try out session will take place on September 16 in St Paul’s Church Hall from 3:30pm. Drinks and refreshments will be provided.