Hackney choir celebrates 40 years with a retro party
- Credit: Archant
A choir celebrated 40 years of music-making with a 1970s-themed anniversary party in Homerton on Saturday.
The Hackney Singers was set up in 1973 after the council arts and entertainment department put an advert in the Hackney Gazette to form a singing group. The group became known as the Hackney Choral Society and they performed their first public engagement at Stoke Newington Town Hall in Stoke Newington Church Street.
The group was renamed the Hackney Singers in the 1980s and has performed at the Royal Festival Hall and the London 2012 Paralympics.
More than 60 people attended the party at the Hackney Marshes Centre in Homerton Road, which featured a buffet and singing.
Long-standing member Natalie Shefer, who attended, said: “I joined Hackney Singers in 1986. Then, we were a small group with only a handful of men.
You may also want to watch:
“I had put off joining a choir because I couldn’t face an audition, but was told that Hackney Singers didn’t hold auditions.
“Daunting though it was, I plucked up the courage to join.
- 1 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
- 9 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 10 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
“I have had a wonderful time since joining but the important thing is that Hackney Singers do not hold auditions, enabling people like myself to have their lives enriched by singing in a choir.”
The group will be holding a Christmas concert at St ohn of Jerusalem church in Lauriston Road, Victoria Park on December 15.