Hackney church hosts eight-hour Dance Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Headway East London fundraisers danced their socks off on Saturday, in an eight-hour Dance Marathon boogie which has generated over £13,000 for those affected by brain injuries.
There were 70 dancers pounding the floor at St John at Hackney Church in Lower Clapton Road to raise money for Headway East London, which is based in Kingsland Road, Haggerston.
The event hosted by Mark Dolan, Balls of Steel TV presenter, began with an hour of 1930s Charleston followed by an hour of electro-swing from the 1940s, led by Chris Tofu.
“Chris put his heart and soul into his hour having recently suffered a brain hemorrhage himself,” said fundraising and communications officer Alex Beattie.
The next six hours were taken up by 50s Afro-Cuban, 60s Bollywood, 70s soul, Michael Jackson’s Thriller from the 80s and 90s hip hop, culminating in a dramatic Celidh and Samba finish cheered on by over 150 supporters.
You may also want to watch:
Miriam Lantsbury, chief executive of Headway East London said the event had been a roaring success: “What an amazing effort by all those involved – we are honoured to have so many great supporters giving their time to perform, sing, dance and help out on the day.”
See the picture gallery on the right hand side.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
- 9 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 10 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea