Hackney church hosts eight-hour Dance Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Headway East London fundraisers danced their socks off on Saturday, in an eight-hour Dance Marathon boogie which has generated over £13,000 for those affected by brain injuries.
There were 70 dancers pounding the floor at St John at Hackney Church in Lower Clapton Road to raise money for Headway East London, which is based in Kingsland Road, Haggerston.
The event hosted by Mark Dolan, Balls of Steel TV presenter, began with an hour of 1930s Charleston followed by an hour of electro-swing from the 1940s, led by Chris Tofu.
“Chris put his heart and soul into his hour having recently suffered a brain hemorrhage himself,” said fundraising and communications officer Alex Beattie.
The next six hours were taken up by 50s Afro-Cuban, 60s Bollywood, 70s soul, Michael Jackson’s Thriller from the 80s and 90s hip hop, culminating in a dramatic Celidh and Samba finish cheered on by over 150 supporters.
Miriam Lantsbury, chief executive of Headway East London said the event had been a roaring success: “What an amazing effort by all those involved – we are honoured to have so many great supporters giving their time to perform, sing, dance and help out on the day.”
See the picture gallery on the right hand side.
- 1 Children hospitalised in Stamford Hill house fire involving candles
- 2 Man on trial for attempted murder of girlfriend was in drug-induced psychosis
- 3 CCTV: Dog walker helped raped woman, 19, call the police in Hackney
- 4 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 5 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 6 Homerton LTN to be made permanent despite division among residents
- 7 Drivers and assistants for special needs pupils vote to strike after council 'brush off'
- 8 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 9 Acapella choir to debut at Hackney's Round Chapel
- 10 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns