Hackney Community Law Centre lawyer picks up award for his work with vulnerable street homeless people
A solicitor from Hackney Community Law Centre (HCLC) has won a prestigious national award for his work with vulnerable homeless people.
Paul Heron from the centre in Lower Clapton Road which provides free and independent legal advice and representation beat off stiff competition to pick up the Law Society’s 2012 Excellence Award for ‘Solicitor of the Year - In House’.
The black-tie dinner and awards ceremony in Old Billingsgate was attended by over 600 UK lawyers.
Mr Heron who is currently establishing a new outreach service offering legal advice and representation to vulnerable street homeless people, was nominated for his advice to marginalised people who do not use mainstream legal services.
“I am really pleased to receive this Excellence Award from the Law Society as an acknowledgement not just of the work that I do, but also the hard work and commitment to social justice demonstrated by everyone here at the HCLC day-in and day-out,” said Mr Heron.
You may also want to watch:
HCLC was also shortlisted in the ‘Excellence in Innovation’ category following the launch of its Community Law Shops ‘pop-up’ advice service, which takes place every Monday between 2pm and 5pm in Hackney Central Library in Mare Street.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year