Hackney Council “considering position” regarding riot evictions
Following Wandsworth Council’s decision to evict the family of an alleged rioter, Hackney Council is now deciding whether to follow suit with its own tenants.
The Conservative-run south London council has begun eviction proceedings against a woman whose son appeared in court charged in connection with the riots in Clapham Junction – although the boy has not yet been convicted.
Wandsworth is the first local authority to issue an eviction notice on a tenant in the wake of the riots, although other councils across the country have said they will consider evicting those found to have taken part in the unrest.
Cllr Philip Glanville, cabinet member for housing, said Hackney Council was considering its position, taking into account its legal and statutory duties.
“The council takes a tough approach to crime and anti-social behaviour and had already begun a wider review of tenancy agreements on changes to conditions regarding antisocial behaviour, gang activity, domestic violence and irresponsible dog ownership,” he said, adding they were discussing similar proposals with some of the largest registered social landlords in the borough.
You may also want to watch:
A council spokeswoman said that Hackney Homes tenancy agreements already include “strict conditions,” which state that a tenancy could be ended if the situation is serious enough.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 9 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 10 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea