Hackney Council furious after shock announcement that 277 bus route will be cut from next week
- Credit: Archant
A decision to cut short the 277 bus route with little notice has been slammed by Hackney’s deputy mayor, who has urged transport chiefs to review the move.
The town hall says TfL’s decision to have the bus terminate at Dalston Junction and not continue on to Highbury and Islington station will cause delays for thousands of commuters.
The 277 currently runs from the Isle of Dogs to the Islington station via Mile End, Victoria Park, Hackney Central and Dalston, from Saturday next week that will change.
This decision is a the latest in a series changes and cuts to bus services in Hackney, with town hall sources also claiming the 48 bus is also set to be scrapped altogether.
Hackney’s deputy mayor Feryal Demirci said: “The 277 provides an important link to the Underground for thousands of Hackney residents, who will now have change buses at Dalston or walk 25 minutes to continue their journey.
“TfL believes passengers will be able to use the Overground or alternative bus routes, but mayor Glanville and I are worried that it will extend and delay the journeys for many of the borough’s residents.
“We are also disappointed TfL has decided to implement this change at a time when the Overground’s performance has deteriorated and services are already over crowded.
- 1 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
- 2 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 5 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 6 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 7 Demolition begins to make way for Hoxton homes
- 8 Speeding driver who killed elderly man in hit and run found guilty
- 9 Kids join police as 20 speed tickets given out
- 10 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
“Ironically I saw today Overground passengers were being advised to seek alternative routes due to delays on the line, but with the 277 no longer an option, we are concerned that the cut will lead to increased crowding on other routes that serve Highbury and Islington, which is still the quickest route in to central London for many Hackney residents.”
People in Hackney were asked to have their say on the bus routes in Hackney by the town hall earlier this year.
Responses show many felt the 277 was vital, particularly the section being cut.
“A quarter of Hackney residents use buses as their main mode of transport,” Cllr Demirci added.
“We understand the need to save money, but this cannot be at the detriment of vital services.
“I am calling on the Mayor of London and TfL to review this decision and TfL’s policy of cutting the bus services.”