Hackney Council to host International Holocaust Memorial Day ceremony
- Credit: Archant
The Town Hall is hosting a ceremony to remember victims of the Holocaust on International Holocaust Memorial Day.
This year's memorial follows the theme "Stand Together" and marks 75 years since the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp, as well as the 25th anniversary of the Genocide in Bosnia.
The ceremony will include music, presentations and personal recollections from a holocaust survivor followed by the laying of a floral tribute at the Holocaust Memorial Tree in the Town Hall Square in Mare Street.
The Speaker of Hackney, Cllr Kam Adams, who will lead the ceremony, said: "Holocaust Memorial Day is a very important day to commemorate and honour all those who were murdered and experienced unimaginable suffering as a result of Nazi persecution.
"It also gives us the opportunity to recognise the atrocities suffered by many as a result of genocides which have happened since the end of the Second World War. These were appalling acts that demonstrate the evil which mankind can do but also the need for us all to live in harmony and unite together to counter oppression wherever it arises."
You may also want to watch:
The event on January 27 in the Council Chamber at Hackney Town Hall takes place from 10am to 11.15am.
It is free and open to Hackney residents.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 9 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
To attend register online at https://hackneyhmd.eventbrite.co.uk by January 20.