Hackney Council to host International Holocaust Memorial Day ceremony
- Credit: Archant
The Town Hall is hosting a ceremony to remember victims of the Holocaust on International Holocaust Memorial Day.
This year's memorial follows the theme "Stand Together" and marks 75 years since the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp, as well as the 25th anniversary of the Genocide in Bosnia.
The ceremony will include music, presentations and personal recollections from a holocaust survivor followed by the laying of a floral tribute at the Holocaust Memorial Tree in the Town Hall Square in Mare Street.
The Speaker of Hackney, Cllr Kam Adams, who will lead the ceremony, said: "Holocaust Memorial Day is a very important day to commemorate and honour all those who were murdered and experienced unimaginable suffering as a result of Nazi persecution.
"It also gives us the opportunity to recognise the atrocities suffered by many as a result of genocides which have happened since the end of the Second World War. These were appalling acts that demonstrate the evil which mankind can do but also the need for us all to live in harmony and unite together to counter oppression wherever it arises."
You may also want to watch:
The event on January 27 in the Council Chamber at Hackney Town Hall takes place from 10am to 11.15am.
It is free and open to Hackney residents.
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 3 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 New Exhibition celebrates Hackney scenes
- 9 Days left to register to vote in May elections
- 10 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers
To attend register online at https://hackneyhmd.eventbrite.co.uk by January 20.