Hackney Council to host International Holocaust Memorial Day ceremony
- Credit: Archant
The Town Hall is hosting a ceremony to remember victims of the Holocaust on International Holocaust Memorial Day.
This year's memorial follows the theme "Stand Together" and marks 75 years since the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp, as well as the 25th anniversary of the Genocide in Bosnia.
The ceremony will include music, presentations and personal recollections from a holocaust survivor followed by the laying of a floral tribute at the Holocaust Memorial Tree in the Town Hall Square in Mare Street.
The Speaker of Hackney, Cllr Kam Adams, who will lead the ceremony, said: "Holocaust Memorial Day is a very important day to commemorate and honour all those who were murdered and experienced unimaginable suffering as a result of Nazi persecution.
"It also gives us the opportunity to recognise the atrocities suffered by many as a result of genocides which have happened since the end of the Second World War. These were appalling acts that demonstrate the evil which mankind can do but also the need for us all to live in harmony and unite together to counter oppression wherever it arises."
You may also want to watch:
The event on January 27 in the Council Chamber at Hackney Town Hall takes place from 10am to 11.15am.
It is free and open to Hackney residents.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 3 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Undercover Met officers may have infiltrated Hackney CND
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Repair Shop's Jay Blades hosts bingo for older Londoners
- 10 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
To attend register online at https://hackneyhmd.eventbrite.co.uk by January 20.