Hackney Council to shut another set of roads to cars after neighbours give thumbs-up
- Credit: Archant
More roads in Hackney will soon be blocked off to cars, driving the total number of streets closed to traffic in the borough through the 100 mark.
Streets around Frampton Park Road off Mare Street are the next in line after two thirds of people in the area backed the Hackney Council proposals.
Work will start in two weeks to close the junctions of Darnley Road with Elsdale Street and Loddiges Road with St Thomas’ Square to through traffic.
The one way section of Brenthouse Road between Darnley Road and Frampton Park Road will be reversed to allow vehicles to access Mare Street.
New trees and plants will also be installed and junctions will be raised to allow step free crossing and reduce vehicle speeds.
You may also want to watch:
Hackney’s transport boss Cllr Feryal Demirci said: “Lots of residents said they would like us to do even more to reduce the number of cars in the area, so we will monitor the effect of this scheme on surrounding roads and take further action if needed.”
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 5 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 8 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 9 Boiling Point: The film shot in one take inside a Hackney restaurant
- 10 Woman battered Hackney Wetherspoons with axe as customers hid inside