Hackney Council to shut another set of roads to cars after neighbours give thumbs-up
- Credit: Archant
More roads in Hackney will soon be blocked off to cars, driving the total number of streets closed to traffic in the borough through the 100 mark.
Streets around Frampton Park Road off Mare Street are the next in line after two thirds of people in the area backed the Hackney Council proposals.
Work will start in two weeks to close the junctions of Darnley Road with Elsdale Street and Loddiges Road with St Thomas’ Square to through traffic.
The one way section of Brenthouse Road between Darnley Road and Frampton Park Road will be reversed to allow vehicles to access Mare Street.
New trees and plants will also be installed and junctions will be raised to allow step free crossing and reduce vehicle speeds.
You may also want to watch:
Hackney’s transport boss Cllr Feryal Demirci said: “Lots of residents said they would like us to do even more to reduce the number of cars in the area, so we will monitor the effect of this scheme on surrounding roads and take further action if needed.”
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 9 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition