Hackney Council to shut another set of roads to cars after neighbours give thumbs-up
- Credit: Archant
More roads in Hackney will soon be blocked off to cars, driving the total number of streets closed to traffic in the borough through the 100 mark.
Streets around Frampton Park Road off Mare Street are the next in line after two thirds of people in the area backed the Hackney Council proposals.
Work will start in two weeks to close the junctions of Darnley Road with Elsdale Street and Loddiges Road with St Thomas’ Square to through traffic.
The one way section of Brenthouse Road between Darnley Road and Frampton Park Road will be reversed to allow vehicles to access Mare Street.
New trees and plants will also be installed and junctions will be raised to allow step free crossing and reduce vehicle speeds.
You may also want to watch:
Hackney’s transport boss Cllr Feryal Demirci said: “Lots of residents said they would like us to do even more to reduce the number of cars in the area, so we will monitor the effect of this scheme on surrounding roads and take further action if needed.”
- 1 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 2 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 3 On the fringe: Great shows in north London this summer
- 4 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 5 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 6 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
- 9 Mick Gosling tribute: 'A man of honesty and justice'
- 10 Where to go to get Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccinations