Hackney Council to shut another set of roads to cars after neighbours give thumbs-up
- Credit: Archant
More roads in Hackney will soon be blocked off to cars, driving the total number of streets closed to traffic in the borough through the 100 mark.
Streets around Frampton Park Road off Mare Street are the next in line after two thirds of people in the area backed the Hackney Council proposals.
Work will start in two weeks to close the junctions of Darnley Road with Elsdale Street and Loddiges Road with St Thomas’ Square to through traffic.
The one way section of Brenthouse Road between Darnley Road and Frampton Park Road will be reversed to allow vehicles to access Mare Street.
New trees and plants will also be installed and junctions will be raised to allow step free crossing and reduce vehicle speeds.
You may also want to watch:
Hackney’s transport boss Cllr Feryal Demirci said: “Lots of residents said they would like us to do even more to reduce the number of cars in the area, so we will monitor the effect of this scheme on surrounding roads and take further action if needed.”
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 10 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs