Hackney Council will try to save remaining Victorian terrace following Raw Duck restaurant demolition
- Credit: Archant
Amhurst Road will remain closed for a few days, while the controlled demolition of a Victorian terrace which suddenly became unstable at the weekend, takes place.
Eight residents were evacuated from their homes in the surviving part of the Gibbons Building at 1-5 Amhurst Road on Friday night.
The historical building is part of a Victorian department store which was partially destroyed by fire in 2003.
Fire crews were called to the building by occupants who felt it was in some kind of structural danger, and a structural engineer from Hackney Council was called in.
Scaffolding has now been erected at 5 Amhurst Road to prepare for the demolition of that part of the terrace, which houses the Raw Duck restaurant and three residential properties.
Contractors will try and enter the premises today to try and safely retrieve belongings for its occupants.
A council spokesman said: “Following the demolition of number 5, an assessment will be made on whether the damage has been contained to that one property, and whether it is possible to save 1-3 Amhurst Road, which houses the Cirrik restaurant and four other residential properties.
- 1 'Catastrophic consequences': Thousands of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 2 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 3 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Dalston delivery drivers demand shelter, safety and 'dignity'
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 8 Library of Things opens in Dalston: Steam cleaners, tools and more for rent
- 9 'We are trying to shift a culture': ending harassment of Hackney school pupils
- 10 Hackney leaders warn of long-term funding crisis
“Hackney Council’s priorities are the safety of the public and the welfare of the occupants of 1-5 Amhurst Road.”
The road will remain closed for several days at its junction with Mare St to the Pembury Junction.
Bus routes are affected and motorists are advised to avoid the area due to heavy congestion.
The London Overground is continuing to operate from Hackney Central as normal.
An 80-room Travel Lodge motel is currently under construction in the adjacent car park.
An investigation into the cause is underway.
The council paid for four of the evacuated residents to stay in a hotel over the weekend, while the other four are staying with relatives.