Councillor angered by people partying on Hackney Marshes
- Credit: Hackney Council
A Hackney councillor has slammed a group of “degenerates” partying on Hackney Marshes and was shocked at the rubbish they left behind.
Police dispersed people from the gathering between 7pm and 8pm on May 18, said Hackney Council.
Park workers were left to clean up the mess the next morning.
The council’s environment chief took to twitter to vent his frustration and said: “This is what a group of utter degenerates left behind after partying on Hackney Marshes last night. This is the reward they thought our park service workers – who’ve risked their health to uphold our liberties – deserved. I’d love to get my hands on them.”
Despite Hackney council’s efforts to remind residents to keep more than two metres apart and to be considerate of other users of parks and open spaces, some are still flouting social distancing guidelines.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Burke told the Gazette: “We’ve worked hard to keep our parks open – especially for those who have no outside spaces of their own.
“In line with the government’s advice, we are reopening tennis courts and multi-use games areas, but we’ll be continuing to remind people not to gather in large groups, play group sport, leave rubbish behind, or use facilities that are closed.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 7 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
“Our parks are Hackney’s communal gardens; let’s treat them – and each other - with respect.”