Hackney couple marry on royal wedding day
Hackney residents were not only celebrating the marriage of the royal couple this afternoon but another wedding much closer to home.
Helene Gullaksen, 46, and John Moore, 47, of De Beauvoir Road, tied the knot at St Peter’s Church in Northchurch Terrace, De Beauvoir Town, just two and a half hours after William and Kate began their ceremony.
Family, friends and neighbours gathered to congratulate the newly-weds as passing motorists sounded their horns in support.
Friend Stephanie Griffiths, who lives nearby, said: “I’m not a Royalist but the wedding this morning was great. Kate looked gorgeous.
“Then obviously it’s lovely to carry on the celebrations here.”
You may also want to watch:
Hackney’s happy couple, who met while studying architecture in 1994, chose the royal wedding day especially for the extra bank holiday and the party spirit across the capital.
They were the first to hold their reception in the church’s recently refurbished crypt and guests were set to go on to the nearby Scolt Head pub in Culford Road in the evening.
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 3 Community lifelines: Volunteer 'superheroes' feed Hackney people in need
- 4 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 5 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 6 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 7 Parents raise thousands for home-learning supplies in Hackney and London
- 8 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 9 Sawing-in-half trick reaches century since first show in Finsbury Park
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse