Hackney couple marry on royal wedding day
Hackney residents were not only celebrating the marriage of the royal couple this afternoon but another wedding much closer to home.
Helene Gullaksen, 46, and John Moore, 47, of De Beauvoir Road, tied the knot at St Peter’s Church in Northchurch Terrace, De Beauvoir Town, just two and a half hours after William and Kate began their ceremony.
Family, friends and neighbours gathered to congratulate the newly-weds as passing motorists sounded their horns in support.
Friend Stephanie Griffiths, who lives nearby, said: “I’m not a Royalist but the wedding this morning was great. Kate looked gorgeous.
“Then obviously it’s lovely to carry on the celebrations here.”
You may also want to watch:
Hackney’s happy couple, who met while studying architecture in 1994, chose the royal wedding day especially for the extra bank holiday and the party spirit across the capital.
They were the first to hold their reception in the church’s recently refurbished crypt and guests were set to go on to the nearby Scolt Head pub in Culford Road in the evening.
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction