Hackney couple marry on royal wedding day
Hackney residents were not only celebrating the marriage of the royal couple this afternoon but another wedding much closer to home.
Helene Gullaksen, 46, and John Moore, 47, of De Beauvoir Road, tied the knot at St Peter’s Church in Northchurch Terrace, De Beauvoir Town, just two and a half hours after William and Kate began their ceremony.
Family, friends and neighbours gathered to congratulate the newly-weds as passing motorists sounded their horns in support.
Friend Stephanie Griffiths, who lives nearby, said: “I’m not a Royalist but the wedding this morning was great. Kate looked gorgeous.
“Then obviously it’s lovely to carry on the celebrations here.”
You may also want to watch:
Hackney’s happy couple, who met while studying architecture in 1994, chose the royal wedding day especially for the extra bank holiday and the party spirit across the capital.
They were the first to hold their reception in the church’s recently refurbished crypt and guests were set to go on to the nearby Scolt Head pub in Culford Road in the evening.
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 3 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 4 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 Parents protest plan to close children's centres in Hackney
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney