Hackney couple to embark on American coast-to-coast trek
A Hackney couple are flying out to America on Tuesday (October 25) to embark on a gruelling six-month trek across the country to raise money for charity.
Husband and wife team Nick and Lucy Russell will walk the 3,000 miles from Savannah, in the eastern seaboard state of Georgia, to San Diego, on the west coast of California.
Mr Russell, 25, said the sponsored trek will raise money for the Pamir Trust - a charity the couple founded to support remote communities in the poverty-stricken Pamir mountain region of Tajikistan, after the couple holidayed there in 2009.
He added: “We thought this would be a good way to see America, because we won’t just be in the touristy places, and we’ll be able to raise money for charity at the same time.
“We’ve been training by walking to work in central London and doing a 20-mile walk most weekends, which takes us about seven and a half hours. So we’re going to look at the walking as if it’s a day job.”
You may also want to watch:
The couple, of Finsbury Park Road, Finsbury Park, aim to cover 20 miles a day for five days a week, which will mean the epic journey will take about six months.
Civil servant Mr Russell and charity worker Mrs Russell, also 25, have both been given time off from their jobs to allow them to carry out the feat.
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 3 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 4 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 5 £3m Hackney Central station revamp begins
- 6 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 7 Calling anyone born on this day in 1982 for a documentary
- 8 Scenes from Ridley Road Market during lockdown captured by photographer
- 9 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
- 10 Twenty-five firefighters put out blaze at a Hackney shop
The couple hope to raise �15,000, and have raised just under �1,630 so far. They won’t have a support car, so will have to carry all their supplies in their backpacks.
To follow the Russells’ journey, or to sponsor them, visit www.walkamerica.co.uk.