Hackney cyclists complete gruelling challenge for Leaside adventure centre
A Hackney trio rode a gruelling 100 miles to raise money for an outdoor adventure club in Lower Clapton catering for disadvantaged kids.
Normally cyclists take three days to complete the South Downs Way cycle challenge, but Matt Craig, Sam Stride and Martin Euden did it in just one.
Starting in Winchester at 7am, they arrived in Eastbourne just before midnight, and hope to raise �2,000 for the charity Leaside in Spring Lane, which offers canoeing, mountain biking, orienteering and expeditions.
Volunteer canoe coach Martin Euden said: “The low points were falling into a bramble bush on a tricky descent and getting a bit lost near the end in the dark.
“The high points were reaching 39.6mph down Buster Hill and finally finishing very tired in Eastbourne - and only one puncture all day.
You may also want to watch:
“We rode to show what can be done when you put your mind to it - hopefully some of that will rub off on the younger members.”
Leaside carries out its work through the good nature of people like Martin who give their time at the weekend and evenings for free, to give youngsters a space to grow and learn self discipline and confidence.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 9 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed
- 10 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea
To donate visit www.justgiving.com/leasidecc
Leaside is having an open day this Saturday (June 18). For more information see www.leaside.co.uk.