Hackney cyclists rapped for jumping red lights
Hackney cyclists were rapped for jumping red lights as part of a police operation to improve road safety.
Officers nabbed 48 cyclists for offences such as ignoring traffic lights and inconsiderate riding in a two-week crackdown in Dalston and Hoxton.
They were issued with �30 fines or given the option of attending an education event this week.
‘Exchanging Places’, held outside the fire station in Kingsland Road, gave cyclists the chance to climb into the cab of the lorry in order to see just how limited the driver’s view may be.
And practical demonstrations showed cyclists how to avoid a lorry’s blind spot by positioning themselvs correctly in the road.
You may also want to watch:
Sergeant Thomas Lazarou, of Hoxton Safer Neighbourhoods team, said: “It is inevitable that the construction of the Olympics site has led to an increase in haulage vehicles and there is no getting away from the fact that lorries must share the road with cyclists. The safest option for cyclists is to hang back, because you cannot guarantee where the lorry driver’s blind spot will be.”
To support the Gazette’s Hackney Cycle Safe campaign and sign up to the three pedal pledges for all road users, go to the homepage and click on the campaign logo.
- 1 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 2 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 5 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 6 All Points East: Radio 6 stage take-over plus more main stage acts
- 7 Hackney this weekend: A Jerk festival, bingo with a twist and more
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 10 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney