Search

Hackney Dixy Chicken damaged in flat fire

PUBLISHED: 10:53 23 February 2017 | UPDATED: 11:34 23 February 2017

The fire started in the shop above Dixy Chicken in Amhurst Road. Picture: @LondonFire

The fire started in the shop above Dixy Chicken in Amhurst Road. Picture: @LondonFire

Archant

A flat above a Dixy Chicken in Hackney went up in flames last night.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to Amhurst Road at 10.10pm. Most of the five-roomed flat was gutted in the blaze, which also badly damaged the ceiling of the shop.

Luckily the people inside the flat, and the staff from the fast food joint, managed to get out before the brigade arrived.

Watch Manager Terry Maher was at the scene: “When we arrived at the scene there was lots of smoke coming out of the front of the shop and there was smoke and flames coming from the flat above it.

“Despite having difficulty getting access, the crews worked really well to stop the fire spreading into the roof and neighbouring properties.”

The fire, believed to be accidental, had been dealt with by 11.40pm.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Hackney Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hackney Gazette