Hackney Dixy Chicken damaged in flat fire
- Credit: Archant
A flat above a Dixy Chicken in Hackney went up in flames last night.
Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to Amhurst Road at 10.10pm. Most of the five-roomed flat was gutted in the blaze, which also badly damaged the ceiling of the shop.
Luckily the people inside the flat, and the staff from the fast food joint, managed to get out before the brigade arrived.
Watch Manager Terry Maher was at the scene: “When we arrived at the scene there was lots of smoke coming out of the front of the shop and there was smoke and flames coming from the flat above it.
“Despite having difficulty getting access, the crews worked really well to stop the fire spreading into the roof and neighbouring properties.”
The fire, believed to be accidental, had been dealt with by 11.40pm.