Hackney Dixy Chicken damaged in flat fire
- Credit: Archant
A flat above a Dixy Chicken in Hackney went up in flames last night.
Four fire engines and 21 firefighters were called to Amhurst Road at 10.10pm. Most of the five-roomed flat was gutted in the blaze, which also badly damaged the ceiling of the shop.
Luckily the people inside the flat, and the staff from the fast food joint, managed to get out before the brigade arrived.
Watch Manager Terry Maher was at the scene: “When we arrived at the scene there was lots of smoke coming out of the front of the shop and there was smoke and flames coming from the flat above it.
“Despite having difficulty getting access, the crews worked really well to stop the fire spreading into the roof and neighbouring properties.”
You may also want to watch:
The fire, believed to be accidental, had been dealt with by 11.40pm.
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 4 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 5 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 6 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 7 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder